Wednesday 31 August 2011

A Good Idea

It should be the kind which stiffens and grows a skin
But the creamier kind will do.
Anyway, the Royal Albert Hall must be filled with custard.

A favourite little poem of mine by Adrian Mitchell, and as good ideas go, it's not bad at all. There's something epic and urgent about it. Urgency especially – 'MUST' – and that's the thing about ideas; it's one thing having them but something other, to follow them through.

That's where I am at the moment – a number of ideas, (probably too many ideas), but with either the lack of time or drive to make them happen.

So I'm hoping, that by writing something down, my ideas will formalise, I'll gain momentum and follow through!

Now before you get too excited, I must point out that the ideas I want to explore at the moment concern creating a possible exhibition. An exhibition of drawings and paintings… on a theme – a dark theme, maybe. One that explores the darker side of human nature, or rather a nature we all suppress, those darker thoughts that lie so close to the surface and the fears which resonate with us all. But no horror film, no blood and guts. Just an unsettling essence. Something that will communicate in a shared way leaving you unsettled.

There – that's where my idea is at the moment. Now all it needs is skin and bones and a whole lot of work making it.

I'll use this space as a jotter for ideas – I'll paste images if relavent and snippets of text if they inspire me. Who knows, this could be the way to realise a project.

No comments:

Post a Comment